Food for Weight Control
Foods for weight control (also known as slimming foods) help individuals to regain control over their weight, often with the guidance of a healthcare professional.
SLIMMING FOODS HAVE AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN COMBATING OBESITY
A serious public health concern
Obesity is commonly regarded as one of the most serious public health concerns of the 21st century, representing a major preventable cause of chronic illness and death. According to Eurostat, more than 50% of Europeans are overweight (36% pre-obese and 17% obese)
A risk factor for several serious diseases
It has been identified as a risk factor for a number of serious diseases including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, certain types of cancer, and even depression, leading to a reduced life expectancy and quality of life.
DIETING & FAD DIETS
Dieting is a recognised pillar of treatment for obesity- but it is essential that consumers have access to the right information and products in order to effectively manage their nutritional needs.
So-called‚ ‘fad diets‘ have been found to be dangerous and risky for uninformed consumers, as they often do not provide a nutritionally balanced diet.*
* French ANSES, Spanish FESNAD/SEEDO
Slimming foods are…
A healthy nutritional balance: Slimming foods are designed to meet both quantity and quality nutritional intake requirements. They ensure that consumers intending to control calorie intake still receive the vital nutrients they require to maintain a healthy nutritional balance.
Easy to use – making it easier to follow the diet and to maximise the chance of success. They also give people confidence in their own progress – with the ultimate goal of returning to a balanced diet, a better lifestyle, and a healthy weight.
A wide range of products is available in different tastes, textures and product forms, making it easier for consumers to follow the diet while maximising the chance of success in weight loss.
- Total diet replacement (TDR) replaces all the diet by substituting all the different meals of the day.
- There are two sorts of Total diet replacement: Very Low Calorie Diets and Low Calorie Diets :
- Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCD): These are diets exclusively based on specific slimming foods, ensuring a fast change in a restrictive diet (below 800 calories/day). The proposed program must be strictly respected and should be monitored by a healthcare professional. Studies show that the use of VLCD products with appropriate medical monitoring are well tolerated.
- Low Calorie Diets (LCD): These are also diets exclusively based on specific slimming foods, but with a diet of 800-1200 calorie diet/day. If these products are used for more than three weeks as the only source of nutrition, advice from a healthcare professional is strongly recommended.
- Meal Replacements for weight control: are formulated to replace one or two of the main meals per day and must contain between 200-250 calories. Meal replacements should be used as part of an energy restricted diet, but other foodstuffs will continue to be a necessary part of the nutritional balance of a healthy diet.
Commitment to the highest quality and safety standards
The complete and well balanced nutritional profile of slimming foods and their strict compositional requirements based on EU regulations guarantee their safe use.