Food for Weight Control
Foods specifically intended for weight control help people to take back control of their weight, often with the help of a healthcare professional.
The complete and well balanced nutritional profile of slimming foods and their strict compositional requirements based on EU regulations guarantee their safe use.
Obesity in Europe
Obesity is commonly regarded as one of the most serious public health concerns of the 21st century, representing a major preventable cause of chronic illness and death.
It has been identified as a risk factor for a number of serious diseases including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, certain types of cancer, and even depression, leading to a reduced life expectancy and quality of life.
In Europe, around 50% of consumers are overweight and 20% are obese *; demonstrating a worsening trend of inappropriate diets and low physical activity levels across the region.
* According to the WHO
The risks of overweight and obesity begin early in life, and 60% of children who are overweight before puberty will be overweight in early adulthood.
Dieting is a recognised pillar of treatment for obesity- but it is essential that consumers have access to the right information and products in order to effectively manage their nutritional needs.
So-called‚ ‘fad diets‘ have been found to be dangerous and risky for uninformed consumers, as they often do not provide a nutritionally balanced diet.*
* French ANSES, Spanish FESNAD/SEEDO
How Slimming foods are used
Foods specifically intended for weight control help people to take back control of their weight,
often with the help of a healthcare professional.
The protein profile of these products is designed to ensure adequate intakes, both in terms of quantity and quality, as well as in terms of their micronutrients profile
This carefully formulated nutritional balance ensures that consumers intending to control calorie intake still receive the vital nutrients they require in order to maintain a healthy nutritional balance
Foods intended for weight control are easy to use – making it easier to follow the diet and to maximise the chance of success. They also give people confidence in their own progress – with the ultimate goal of returning to a balanced diet, a better lifestyle, and a healthy weight
In 2015 the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) re-confirmed that meal replacements help consumers to lose weight and help to maintain body weight after weight loss.*
* EFSA NDA Panel (EFSA Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies), 2015. Statement on the conditions of use for health claims related to meal replacements for weight control. EFSA Journal 2015;13(11):4287, 11 pp. doi:10.2903/j.efsa.2015
There is a range of slimming foods that are used for different purposes:
- Total daily replacement (TDR) replaces all the diet by substituting all the different meals of the day.
- There are two sorts of Total daily replacement: Very Low Calorie Diets and Low Calorie Diets :
- Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCD): These are diets exclusively based on specific slimming foods, ensuring a fast change in a restrictive diet (below 800 calories/day). The proposed program must be strictly respected and should be monitored by a healthcare professional. Studies show that the use of VLCD products with appropriate medical monitoring are well tolerated.
- Low Calorie Diets (LCD): These are also diets exclusively based on specific slimming foods, but with a diet of 800-1200 calorie diet/day. If these products are used for more than three weeks as the only source of nutrition, advice from a healthcare professional is strongly recommended.
- Meal Replacements for weight control: are formulated to replace one or two of the main meals per day and must contain between 200-250 calories. Meal replacements should be used as part of an energy restricted diet, but other foodstuffs will continue to be a necessary part of the nutritional balance of a healthy diet.
Commitment to the highest quality and safety standards
The complete and well balanced nutritional profile of slimming foods and their strict compositional requirements based on EU regulations guarantee their safe use. These products are easy to use for consumers, making it easier to follow the diet and to maximise the chances of success.
The portion size, nutritional composition, and specific instructions of use help consumers to control their weight without complex calculation of calories and levels of protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals
A wide range of products is available in different tastes, textures and product forms, making it easier for consumers to follow the diet while maximising the chance of success in weight loss